Sunday, September 30, 2007

Yellow

In-between soccer and football games on Saturday I went for a drive to check out some of the Fall color. I drove to Idaho Springs and took Hwy. 103 (Squaw Pass Rd.) past Mt. Evans and back home via the intentional long way. The weather was windy, and it was misty in some places. I could see some snow on some of the higher peaks. Here are some pictures.



The view from Juniper Pass.








Squaw Pass Rd.








On Sunday, I was a little more adventurous. I went to Blue Lake in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. The mountains had gotten fresh snow during the night. The road to the trailhead still had snow on it in places. This surprised me since I didn't get an early start. I guess it won't be long before they close this area for the season. Anyway, I made the hike up to Blue Lake in the snow. Three miles up & three miles back. It is a pretty easy hike. Blue Lake's elevation is probably 11,300 ft., but the elevation at the trailhead is probably around 10,500 ft. So the elevation gain in the 3 miles is minimum. The scenery was amazing, the temperature wasn't too bad, but the wind made it brutal at the lake. Here are the pics.
Brainard Lake. The pointy mtn. on the left is Mt. Toll. Blue Lake is located at the base of it. Mt. Audubon is on the right.

Me at Blue Lake. Mt. Toll is on the left. (There are no plans for water lillies on this lake.)





Me again at Blue Lake. Little Pawnee Peak is behind me.







Trees along the Peak to Peak Hwy. on the way home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brainard Lake looks nice. Bet I could hike to that lake.

My Noles took care of Alabama to.