Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Hog Butcher For The World

Some of my readers may be wondering where I went last weekend. With all the places I could go in Colorado, I chose to leave the great state of Colorado and fly to Chicago. Say what? Yep, Chicago! The U.S. Men’s soccer team was playing Brazil there. That is pretty much the only reason that could get me there. I flew in Saturday morning, and then waited around for Jim & Stacy plus their friend Hunter to arrive. After a long train/bus ride to our hotel downtown, we got a little sight-seeing in before I needed a TV to watch my Bulldogs. Unfortunately they were the first of my sports teams to go down this past weekend. My dedication won’t waver despite these misfortunes.

My Bro in front of the Chicago Mirror Bean Sculpture in Millenium Park.










Group photo from underneath the mirror bean sculpture. The red in the photo is myself and my brother.


On Sunday, we played tourists in the morning and went to the Sears Tower. Home of the world’s largest antenna. The view from the 103rd floor was magnificent. We were able to pick out Wrigley Field, Soldier Field, and the park formerly known as new Comiskey Park.

One of the views of downtown from the Sears Tower.






The afternoon was dedicated to the soccer game. 43,000 people showed up to see Brazil beat the U.S. 4-2. The game was closer than the score. The U.S. could have easily come away with a result if it wasn’t for a couple costly mistakes and a couple of questionable calls. The U.S. actually scored three goals. Unfortunately one of them was in their own net. The game was competitive and a lot of fun to watch. I didn’t go in expecting a U.S. win, but they gave me hope that a result was possible until Brazil got a clinching Penalty Kick in injury time.
The teams walking onto the pitch at Soldier Field before the game.
Stacy, Hunter, myself, & Jim at Soldier field after the game.
Buckingham Fountain after dark. The Sear Tower is the tallest object in the picture. Our hotel is the Congress Hotel on the left.

On Monday, everybody went home. For me it was the longest commute of my life. I had to work on Monday after getting back from Chicago. It was a long day. The rest of this week has been dedicated to work and moving preparation. Not a fun week after a fun weekend.

-M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool pics, but remember "Chicago Sucks" (inside joke)