Sunday, January 27, 2008

Good Pain

The weather was wonderful Denver this weekend. The highs were in the 50's on Saturday and 60's on Sunday. I hung out in the foothills where it was a little cooler due to the wind.

I did a rather difficult hike on Sunday. I'm climbed Bear Peak (8,461 ft.) It is located southwest of Boulder in Boulder Mountain Park. The elevation change was pretty significant. I estimate the trailhead elevation at 5,600 feet. I'm not sure on the mileage, but it seemed long. With all the trails in this park, I turned my journey into a loop hike. Of course that added to the length. The length & elevation change was not the problem. It was the ice. At about 6,600 feet, the trail started climbing the mountain through a canyon. The extra shadows made it nice and icy. I made it though, and the view was fantastic. I was able to see Longs Peak, the Indian Peaks, and Pikes Peak. Getting down was a bit trickier I made it down with only getting a few bruises on my rear. I'm tired and sore, but I'm happy with the hike. I'd do it again, but I think I will get crampons if I do it again in the winter. Here are the pics.


The top of Bear Peak. Longs Peak is on the horizon on the right.




Me on top of Bear Peak. The temp was not bad, but the wind was brutal.


A view of Boulder from Bear Peak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks like the view from Bear Peak made it worth the effort.

Guess you're happy the Fins are still the only team with an un-defeated season.