Sunday, October 11, 2009

Africa

Four years ago, I watched the US clinch a 2006 World Cup birth in Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The US beat Mexico 2-0 in that game. It was great experience, and it was also my first US Men's National team game. Last night, the US clinched a spot in 2010 World Cup that will be played in South Africa. I didn't get to go to the game for this clincher. The game was in Honduras. The TV rights for the game were held for ransom. The game ended up only being available on closest circuit TV for a couple of grand. So there weren't too many places across the country that showed it. The Colorado Rapids split the costs with the British Bulldog (a soccer bar in Denver). I got to the bar an hour before game time. The line was out the door and around the corner. I was shocked, Denver fans are not supposed to be this dedicated to soccer. Like a lot of fans, I was not able to get into the bar. A lot of the people left, but I hung outside with a group of at least 20 people and watched what I could through the window. During the second half I watched by standing on the outside bar. It gave me a better view of the TV. The atmosphere was great. I'm not use to that in Denver. These were the dedicated soccer fans of Denver. I was outside with fans willing to watch the game with a limited view in 20 degree weather. Yes, 20 degree weather. There was supposed to be a baseball game in Denver last night, but it was apparently too cold for the baseball wimps. It was a unique experience. It was great to see the fan support in Denver. Best of all the US clinched a spot in the World Cup with a game to spare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the pictures from the British Bulldog (exterior)? I would think you could have some great crowd shots and maybe some postgame fan video.

Pops said...

USA! USA! USA!

Mighty Mike said...

Mighty Mike Productions failed to bring a camera to the event. I'm checking to see if any photos show up on the internet. But I have posted video of all the goals in the game. That is something that was not seen on ESPN. I have reports that the local news in Denver didn't even mention the game, which doesn't surprise me. Conor Casey, who scored two goals for the US, is from Denver and plays for the Rapids. You would think they would keep track of the local guy. Anyway, as Pops says "USA! USA! USA!"