Sunday, October 08, 2006

Hey, I live in Colorado

Saturday Morning. Feeling lazy. Don't want to get out of bed. Sleep in. Finally get up. Watch a part of Gameday. The first football games of the day have started. I look outside. It is a gorgeous day. I need to go to the mountains. Oh no, I've waited to late. It will take a couple of hours to get to the mountains, and the crazy suburbanites will be out. Wait a minute; I don't have to deal with that. I live in Colorado. I can be in the mountains in no time. 30 minutes later, I find myself at Mount Falcon Park. It only took that long because I decided to take the scenic route through Bear Creek Canyon. Mount Falcon Park has 11.1 miles of trail. I walk on about 4.2 miles of these trails. I'll save the rest for another day. Mt. Falcon tops out 7,851 feet, which is not very high by Colorado standards, but over 1000 feet higher than anything east of the Mississippi. It was enough to give me that thought of "I can't believe I live here." Below are some pictures of the park.
Downtown Denver from the Top of Mt. Falcon.
This is the old mansion of John Brisben Walker. The home burnt down in 1918 due to a lightning strike.
Red Rocks, dinosaur Ridge, Green Mountain, the northern suburbs of Denver as seen from the Walker Home Ruins.
Walker owned the land from Mt. Falcon down to Red Rocks as well as other places around Denver. Walker produced a number of concerts at Red Rocks between 1906 - 1910. The city of Denver purchased Red Rocks in 1927.

On a side note, you can now make anonymous comments on this blog if you like. The default setting allowed only register users. I have fixed this.

The weather is getting cooler. It is Sunday, and there has been 40° temperature change since Saturday. There is talk of snow in the forecast...

-M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hey, I live in Georgia!"

I'm only 30 minutes from the mountains... I just have one less digit in elevation is all!

p.s. GO BRAVES! Oh wait. CRAP!