Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

This is the first post of several about my latest adventures on the Colorado Trail. On July 23rd, I travelled to Gunnison, Colorado with my parents. On the way, we stopped so I could do a short slack pack hike along the Colorado Trail. I did a 5.5 mile from US 50 to the Angel of Shavano Trailhead. The hike was mostly wooded, but it did have nice moments.
Looking South
Trail through the aspen trees

Hungry Tree

The southern side of Shavano. (Top not visible)
After staying the night in Gunnison, I got Pops to drop me off on the Colorado Trail at its intersection with Cochetopa Pass Road. This was the start of a backpacking trip. I would hike from here north to Monarch Pass over three days. I saw lots of people going the opposite direction. Most of the hikers were going to Durango. There was not a whole lot views this day. The trail stayed in the woods for the most part. Part of the trail that I followed was called the Summit Trail. It followed a ridge, and the trail seemed like it went over every single bump on that ridge. Good drinking water was a bit scarce, but I was prepared. I stayed the night at Razor Creek with several other hikers. I hiked 16.3 miles of trail that day.
Lujan Creek near Highway 114
View from the top of a ridge on the Summit Trail
It rained during the night. So I got to pack up a wet tent on the morning of Day 2 of the backpacking trip. The morning was cloudy and bit misty at times. It eventually burned off by mid-morning. I had a light lunch on Sargents Mesa and dried out my tent. The hike down Sargents Mesa was through cattle country. I got water at Tank Seven Creek. I went ahead and cooked an early dinner at the water source since I would not see another reliable water source the rest of the day. After eating, I hiked around 5.5 miles. This part of the hike was not much fun as I got to see the rain late into the hike. I had to take cover in a thick set of trees during a huge downpour. The trail had turned into a creek. There was also lightning and hail. After the storm calmed down, I hiked probably another half mile. I found a good campsite for the night. Due to early dinner and weather delays, I had hiked a little later than I normally would. I estimate I hiked 20 miles that day. So it was a good day mileage wise.
Looking back on the trail from Middle Baldy
Middle Baldy
Cloudy morning
Misty
Sargents Mesa
Starting to descend Sargents Mesa.  Mt. Ouray in the clouds.
Norman and his mom
A field without cows
Rain is coming
Looking towards Mt. Ouray and Marshall Pass
More posts coming when I have time…

2 comments:

Pops said...

WOW! Wish I could do that. Keep hiking & keep taking pictures.

Anonymous said...

cranking out the miles aren't you!!!