Thursday, August 31, 2017

Down

This is the final post for a four day backpacking trip on the Colorado Trail from Molas Pass to Durango. The day was Wednesday, August 2, 2017. I stayed below treeline on this day. So the pictures can’t compare to the previous day's sights. I camped the previous night at an elevation of 8,974 feet. The first three miles of this day was a gradual uphill to a place the locals were calling High Point which has an elevation of 9,557 feet.
Looking back at my campsite location which was located above the cliffs.
Having a snack at High Point
From High Point, it is pretty much all downhill for 10 miles to the Junction Creek Trailhead (6,983 Ft.) that services Durango. I did 13 miles on the day. It was mostly uneventful. The trail was really muddy in places. After High Point, I started seeing locals using the trails. I met my parents at Junction Creek Trailhead at 1:30 PM. We went to Durango where we stayed at the Strater Hotel. The next day we drove to my home.
Looking back at the La Plata Mountains
Looking towards Durango (left) and Perins Peak (right) from Gudy's Rest Overlook
Looking back at Gudy's Rest
The Train and the Strater Hotel in Durango
This ends this year’s adventure on the Colorado Trail. I did 73 miles the first week and 74 miles the second week for a total of 147 miles trail on this year’s hike.
An updated map of my Colorado Trail Hikes

2 comments:

Pops said...

You done good. Cool pic of the Durango/Silverton too. Keep on hiking!

Virginia said...

Liked your map. Ready to start planning next year's hike? MOM