Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Rainmaker

On Saturday, July 29th, my parents and I drove to Durango. I had been to Durango several times before, but this is the first time I have been there since I had become a Colorado resident in 2006. The town has gotten more spread out, but I still like it. We stayed downtown at the Strater Hotel. It is an old hotel that was built in 1887. It is worth a stay.

The next morning, it was raining in Durango. The plan was to start another backpacking trip. It is never fun to start in the rain. Fortunately, the sky looked brighter to the north where I would start my hike. We drove to Molas Pass where my parents dropped me off. The weather had cleared for the start of my hike.
Potato Hill (Middle) Engineer Mountain (Right)
View along the Colorado Trail
North Twilight Peak (Left) Potato Hill (Right)
Scenery at a saddle along the trail.
Trail entering a wildflower field
A Marmot with Potato Hill in the background
Columbine
A couple of waterfalls
As the day progressed, the clouds started building up again. Fortunately I had gotten past the above treeline portion of that day’s hike before the rain started. It was a long drizzly rain. There was some lightning in the beginning, but the lightning didn’t last long and wasn’t close. I ended up hiking about 18 miles before I found a place in which I wanted to camp.
The picture taker
A small lake near the intersection of the Engineer Mountain Trail
Rolling Mountain
Looking back on the trail
Heading towards the pass that is south of Rolling Mountain
Northern view of Twin Sister East & West from the pass
Looking south from the Pass (12,500 ft)
Fields of wildflowers on the way down from the pass
Looking back at the pass
Paintbrush
Sheep
Camp
More Colorado Trail posts to come…

2 comments:

Pops said...

WOW! These are the best pictures yet.

Virginia said...

LOVE your pictures of wildflowers, especially the close-ups of the columbines and the paintbrush. Also liked the waterfalls. Of course my favorite photo was the one of you. You look very handsome. MOM