Monday, May 27, 2013

In a Big Country

On Friday, May the 10th, I ventured into Edinburgh. I took the train from Dunfermline to Waverley Station in the center of Edinburgh. From there, I walked the streets to Holyrood Park. The park has a hill called Arthur’s Seat. It overlooks the entire area. It is a very popular destination.
St. Anthony's Chapel
Arthur's Seat from St. Anthony's Chapel
Edinburgh from Arther's Seat
Top of Arthur's Seat
The back side of Arthur's Seat. Firth of Forth is the water body
From the Arthur’s Seat, I walked to Salisbury Crags which are a series of cliffs between Arthur’s Seat and Edinburgh. Salisbury Crags probably offers the best view of the central part of Edinburgh.
Arthur's Seat
Edinburgh Castle from the Salisbury Crags
Arthur's Seat and the Salisbury Crags
Edinburgh Castle and me from the Salisbury Crags
From the Salisbury Crags, I walked to Calton Hill. The Scottish government is based by the hill. There are lots of monuments on the hill as well as a view.
Calton Hill on the way down from Salisbury Crags
The National Monument on Calton Hill
After Calton Hill, I walked to Oink and had lunch. I had a very tasty pork sandwich with a touch of haggis on top.
My lunch stop.
After lunch, it was time to check out Edinburgh Castle. The castle is big, but it is hard to get a perspective of it. It is obvious that it is the number one tourist destination in the city. There were people everywhere. There are several museums and exhibits within the castle. There is quite a bit to read. I was quite impressed with the stain-glass in the Scottish National War Memorial. Out of respect, picture taking is not allowed in the War Memorial. Here are some pictures that I did take at Edinburgh Castle.
Western view.  St Mary's Cathedral on the left.
Calton Hill and Waverley Station on the left
Arthur's Seat from Half Moon Battery
The Great Hall
Outside the Scottish National War Memorial
The National War Museum and the One o'clock Gun
One more Scotland post to come…

2 comments:

Pops said...

The view from Arthur's Seat looks good. Think I'm going to try that hike next week. Carter said he'll go with me.

Virginia said...

Thanks for the great photos of and from Arthur's seat since I am not attempting the climb. Calton Hill is on my list to explore as well as the churches and park below the castle. Glad you went in the War Memorial at the castle (Dad skipped it). I, too, found the stained glass to be impressive. Mom