Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Crossing

Life in Colorado is taking a big detour for the next batch of posts. I made my first adventure across the Pond. So I have two weeks’ worth of adventures that doesn’t have much to do about Colorado. The trip did start in Colorado. I left Denver on Wednesday, May the 1st. It was snowing when I left. I flew on Icelandair. Deicing took close to an hour due to the ice buildup. The plane had been sitting out in the rain and snow all day. So the ice buildup was pretty bad.
Deicing in Denver
A beer from Iceland.  It was very watery.
I arrived in Glasgow, Scotland around 11 am on Thursday. Stacy, my sister-in-law, picked me up at the airport and drove me to Dunfermline. My brother is doing a Fulbright teacher exchange. Basically, he traded jobs and houses with someone who lives in Dunfermline, Scotland. The rest of the day involved eating, hanging out with my nephew and niece, and having a few pints with my brother. Since I don’t sleep on planes, I had skipped sleeping Wednesday night. I went to bed at 8pm on Thursday and slept around 11 hours. On Friday, May the 3rd, I explored Dunfermline. My day started by walking Carter, my favorite nephew, to school. He doesn’t need to be walked to school. He just wanted to show me his walk and tell me what he knew about Dunfermline. From Carter’s school, I walked into the center of Dunfermline. I met up with Stacy who showed me Pittencrieff Park (The Glen), Dunfermline Abbey, and Dunfermline Palace.
Flowers in Pittencrieff Park
More flowers
More Flowers
Happy belated Mother's Day
Me
Dunfermline Abbey
A stain glass window the Abbey
The stairs in the Dunfermline Palace
The Dunfermline Palace
The Abbey from the Palace
A face on the ceiling in the palace
A statue of Jar Jar Binks with an ukulele?
Me in front of the Abbey
Stacy went back home after all of that. I went on to explore Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum. I called it a day after that and walked back to the house in a light drizzle.
Handloom Weaver
More to come...

2 comments:

Pops said...

The ice on plane part is scary. Love the pictures & looking forward to the next edition.

Virginia said...

Interesting pictures of the palace. We didn't get to see that or the Andrew Carnegie Museum. Next month, maybe? Thanks for the flowers. The small multi-color ones are primroses. The mountain meadows in CO have Parry's primrose. They're a purplish-pink and grow in the open next to water. Stacy and I have been wondering what the violet-blue flowers on the stalks are called. Mom