Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Moladh Beinn Dòbhrain

On Tuesday, May the 7th, I was on my own. I took a train north from Crianlarich to the Bridge of Orchy. It was only two stops. From the Bridge of Orchy train station, I started hiking. The plan was to hike up Beinn Dorain or at least as far as I could get, time permitting. I was at the mercy of the train schedule. At the start of the day, it was still cloudy; however, it was warmer and there was no rain or mist. The hike was a muddy hike up an active drainage. It was just me and a few sheep. Every once in a while there was a break in the clouds.
Waterfall and sheep
The sun is trying to break through above the bealach
Shortly after I reached the bealach (pass) between Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh, the breaks in the clouds started increasing.
Blue Sky
Blue Sky and clouds
The top of Beinn Dorain remained in the clouds. I wasn’t quite sure where it was. The path in which I was hiking was contouring around a ridge. I came to a snowfield on the side of the mountain. It was really steep with some nice rocks at the bottom of it. I decided it was in my best interest not to try and cross it. I thought about going up and around, but that was going to take time. I was already at the time where I felt I needed to turn around if I wanted to have a non-rushed descent. With the peak still in the clouds, I decided to turn around at this point. It allowed me stop and take pictures on the way down without having to rush to catch my train
Possibly the snow field where I turned around.  Doesn't look as steep here though.
View of Bridge of Orchy and Loch Tulla
Way down.  Loch Tulla
Me with Beinn an Dothaidh behind me
A view
Same waterfall as the first picture
Rock cairn at the bealach
Looking down at the Bridge of Orchy
The top became visible by the time I got to the train station. It looked like I had been real close to the top. I looked at Google Earth after I got home; it also suggests that I was real close to the top. I also reread the trail description. There were multiple trails. It looks like I was on the one that swings around to the back side. I probably lost the more direct trail in one of the snowfields I had already crossed. I’m guessing I was no more than a quarter of a mile from the top.

From the Bridge of Orchy, I took a train back to Crianlarich. I changed trains there and went to Oban. I was staying at the Heatherfield House in Oban. I stayed there for two nights.
View from the train
Heatherfield House
Oban - McCaig's Tower (Top of picture)
View from bedroom. Isle of Kerrera beyond the bay and Isle of Mull in the distance

1 comment:

Pops said...

Those are some WOW pictures. Looks like you had a good time.