Friday, May 31, 2013

Post

This is my 14th post for my trip to Scotland and Iceland. So if you haven’t been to the blog in a while and want to read about this adventure in chronological order, I suggest clicking on the May 2013 archive on the right, start at the post called “The Crossing”, and go up.

Tuesday, May the 14th, was the day I went back home. Scotland and Iceland were an amazing experience. It was good to be out of boring old Colorado and see something new;) Fortunately, I had some time to kill before my flight. So I went on another drive. I went back to Þingvellir National Park. I made a stop at Almannagjá in the park. Almannagjá is a part of the rift valley where tectonic plates move apart.
Þingvallavatn (The largest natural lake in Iceland) Þingvellir National Park
Þingvellir National Park
Almannagjá - Þingvellir National Park
Almannagjá - Þingvellir National Park
Almannagjá - Þingvellir National Park
Þingvellir
From Þingvellir National Park, I headed south through Selfoss to the coast. Once at the coast, I followed it almost all the way to the airport. It was one lava field after another pretty much all the way.
Me just north of Selfoss
On a strip of land separating the Ölfusá River from the Atlantic Ocean
The Atlantic Ocean on the other side of the road.
Lighthouse at Þorlákshöfn
Lava rock
Lava field along the coast
The flight back was long and uneventful. I watched a couple of movies, read, and looked out the window. It was cloudy over Greenland, but northern Canada was interesting with all of the ice and snow.
Canada, eh!
Zoom view
Hudson Bay?
After 14 posts, that is it for Scotland and Iceland trip. Would I go back again? Sure. Will I? Who knows…

2 comments:

Pops said...

Love the pictures but don't think I would want to live in Iceland. Same for Scotland - Lovely place but wouldn't want to live there.

Virginia said...

Glad you got to see as much of Iceland as you did. And you'd go back? I'd love to see it later in summer when things have gotten green. Mom